Hackstr. Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Particle Argon projects

Hackstr

I wound up with a piece of pipe welded to a heavy table, sliding the shaft through the pipe and lifting the plate about a foot above the pipe. So I cut it out bent up some sheetmetal and welded it in for a nice straight and flush fender. I am planning on having to lengthen all the wires for the lights, but pretty sure that is all that needs to go up to the front of the truck other than 12v power to the fan. Car guy through and through, have a few pretty neat projects over the past couple years and really not a fan of the mainstream. Took about 5 snatches but it popped off the end on the last snatch. You've made some great progress in a short period of time. So, I got to work getting the engine in place and building some motor mounts.

Nächster

Hackster

Hackstr

Pretty much see what I left in the garage on Saturday night. Pretty happy with how the rearend turned out. He was amazing to work with and this thing brings the beef. So with the tank all mounted, the weather looking good I hit the firewall with some scotchbrite and knocked down a couple of little flaws, mixed up some paint and tacked off the firewall. With the column finally back together and in the rig, I could layout the final steering linkage from the rack to the column. Got back and went to work on the rearend.

Nächster

Hackster

Hackstr

Not really worth taking pics of but I also got the final upper braces for the frontend painted and installed with the proper spacers under them and measure for the tranny, its gonna be close if it clear the crossmember at the pan or not. Put the tank on a water test and all checked out ok. Looks a lot better, front end might need to come down a little bit but its a heck of a lot better. He did an awesome job on the harness and reprogram. That plate on the end of the steering shaft does come off but not easily. Sunday morning was clean up time, we left it a mess on Saturday. Got this amazing piece from Chris at Circle D.

Nächster

Hackster's 1968 f100 CV Swap

Hackstr

Then heated the plate cherry red and snatched the shaft through the pipe. Trimmed it down and rebent all the flanges to fit the back of the 70 mustang tank. Here it is in raw metal, still needed a bit more metal work at this point but I was running out of time. We bolted those onto the fully painted and assembled rearend. I am a huge foxbody mustng fan, have owned several of them in the past from all different years. Trying to get the front engine bay sheetmetal work done this week while I am waiting for the converter. My dad recently retired and we finished his 64 ranchero this year.

Nächster

Hackster

Hackstr

Life is a banquet, and every days a feast. Pretty much where I left it off this evening. Got the tranny all cleaned up and put a nice dusting of aluminum paint on it to freshen up my freshened up tranny before it went into its new home. Do you have any pics of your inner fenders and wiring? Trying to make it a very clean and pleasing engine bay. Really happy with the lines we ran. . Pulled off the front sheetmetal, got it up on stands and proceeded to chop the frontend out from under it.

Nächster

Particle Argon projects

Hackstr

Hope to get brakes plumbed and start on the firewall reassembly this week. Not really worth pics but the front suspension all got pulled back off, front framerails all wire wheeled down to bare metal and metal etch primed, primered and shot with the same alk200 I shot the rear frame with. Oh what a difference the stance of a project makes. You can see what I mean in that last photo of the end of the shaft. Here is the end result of my driveway reshoot on the frontend. So with a little time I was mocking up the fuel tank and see what I was going to do back here. Doing a spring under swap on the rearend.

Nächster

Hackster

Hackstr

It fit like a glove, plenty of clearance all around the big girl and the motor sits nice and low in the chassis, looks good in there. I am hanging it under the frame and holding it in place with two straps. He set it up for stand alone operation, added in relays for fan 1, fan 2, fuel pump, starter and all the works. So, I got the brake booster and brackets from a 75 and swapped the pedal into my 68 assembly, pulled everything I could from the firewall and dropped all that stuff off at the powder coater on Monday and that gets us up to speed for the weekend. The first rust I have found is on the inner fender underneath the battery tray. Saturday started by buttoning up the tranny so that I could get back to some dirty work. He got it all finished up with the exception of a pan gasket and a filter.

Nächster